Immigration and Travel matters for USLC students

Immigration and travel advice for ESL students starting in the spring or summer

Can I begin my classes remotely even if I do not have a study permit?

If you are enrolled in a course or program of study of 6 months’ duration or less and your studies are not part of a longer study program, a study permit is not required. However, you can still apply for your study permit even if you do not require one and your application will be processed by IRCC. 

If you are enrolled in a course or program of study that lasts more than 6 months, you can begin your program remotely in Spring, Summer, and Fall 2020 even if your study permit has not been processed or approved yet. Regardless, the University of Saskatchewan Language Centre encourages all new students to apply for a study permit as soon as possible after receiving an admission letter, and certainly before your program starts, if enrolled in a program that lasts more than 6 months. 

Please apply without delay as study permit applications are still being received and processed and we expect significant backlogs and delays as the COVID-19 pandemic is resolved.  

Please also be aware that a study permit is required to conduct any in-person program requirements in Canada, if the COVID-19 situation later allows. 

Will my study permit application be impacted if I start my program remotely without a study permit?

It is each applicant’s responsibility to ensure they meet the requirements set by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) when they apply for a study permit. All decisions regarding study permit eligibility and application requirements are made by IRCC. So while there is currently no IRCC policy that starting studies remotely without a study permit will negatively affect your study permit application, the University of Saskatchewan cannot guarantee that your study permit application is successful and cannot influence the decision-making process of IRCC. 

Should I book travel to Canada?

Do not book travel to Canada at this time. The COVID-19 pandemic has significantly impacted Canada’s entry requirements and travel is either prohibited or not recommended, with the situation changing rapidly.  Immigration authorization to study is separate from entry to Canada. Currently, only those students in possession of approved study permits or whose study permit application was approved before noon on March 18, 2020 are able to travel to Canada.

Share this story